Yankee Candles are premium scented products made from the finest quality ingredients and materials and may cost a little more than the average candle but they are worth it! Some extra attention is required to keep them looking their best and producing their beautiful scents for as long as possible.
Yankee Candle Storage
Candles are sensitive to light and temperature, so be careful when storing them for any extended period of time. Avoid colour fading, melting or cracking by storing candles in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight or fluorescent light.
Storage temperature should not be allowed to exceed 27°C or fall below 0°C. Exposure to moisture may inhibit relighting. Follow these guidelines when travelling as well, extreme temperatures in your car can easily melt or freeze your candles.
Cleaning Yankee Candles
Should the mouth of a jar candle become blackened while burning simply extinguish the candle, allow to cool and carefully wipe the jar with a dry paper towel or try our Candles wipes, which are formulated to quickly remove black soot residue from virtually all types of surfaces. To avoid such blackening keep the wick trimmed to 1/4″ at all times. It’s important to burn candles responsibly to ensure their safe use.
Yankee Candle Jars & Tumblers
To experience the maximum enjoyment from Yankee Candle Jars and Tumblers, and long lasting burning times, here are some top tips from the makers of Yankee Candles.
• Glass Containers are fragile, handle with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact when handling the lid, and don’t use jars that are cracked, chipped or scratched.
• Discontinue use when 1.5cm of wax remains, as glass may shatter. Do not refill Yankee Candle jars with wax.
• Do not allow the flame to touch the side of the jar, as it may become hot. Handle carefully.
• Minimise the wax left on the sides by burning your Yankee Candle until the wax pool reaches the edge of the jar (this can take up to three hours). It’s normal for some wax to remain, and the amount varies per colour, fragrance and burning environment.
• Extinguish carefully before replacing the lid.
• When the wax pool reaches the candle’s edge, extinguish the flame and allow the candle to harden before relighting. This will prevent dripping.
• Discontinue use when 1/2″ of wax remains.
• Never place directly on furniture. Only burn in an appropriate holder.
Scented Tea Lights
• Do not burn in an enclosed space like a potpourri pot. For purpose use Yankee tart Warmers (unscented tea lights), and be sure the burner is well ventilated.
• If the wick smokes or builds up carbon, extinguish the flame and remove the carbon before relighting.
Yankee Candle Samplers
• Votives are made to liquefy, burn them only in appropriate holders, and never burn free standing.
• Place Yankee Candle Tarts® Wax Potpourri in the top of a dry potpourri burner. Do not add water. Light one of the unscented Tarts® Warmers inside the unit base for a controlled low flame made especially for potpourri burners. Use metal cup tea lights only, never use scented tea lights. When melted, the wax potpourri will release its wonderful fragrance.
• To change fragrance, extinguish the Tarts® Warmer flame and allow the melted Tarts® Wax Potpourri to harden. Gently tap the sides of the burner and in most cases the wax will pop out. Discard the melted wax potpourri or store in a plastic bag for reuse.
• Do not use metal objects to clean wax from warmer as this may crack or damage unit. Do not use warmer if chipped or cracked. Warmer may become hot while in use. Do not touch or move until cool.
• If using an electric potpourri pot, we recommend that you use one that is UL listed for safety assurance.
• Not intended for use with fragranced warming oil or potpourri refresher oil.
General Candle Safety Rules
• Prior to lighting, remove and discard packaging.
• Keep burning candles within sight at all times, never leave a burning candle unattended.
• Keep burning candles away from flammable materials and out of reach of children and pets.
• Keep wick trimmed to ¼ inch at all times.
• If smoking occurs, extinguish the flame, retrim the wick to 1/4inch, remove trimmings and relight.
• Only burn candles in or on suitable holders and place them on heat and fire resistant surface. Do not place candles on or near other heat sources, and never directly on furniture.
• Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches or any combustible material.
• Keep the wick centered.
• Place your candle in an area free from draughts to discourage dripping and smoking.
• Extinguish candles with care, as wax may splatter. A wick dipper is recommended.