Ingredients for Pan-Fried Asparagus With Chilli & Garlic
1-2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2-3 red chillies, de-seeded and finely diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
450g of fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
Method for Pan-Fried Asparagus With Chilli & Garlic
- Heat a heavy bottomed frying pan or alternatively use a griddle pan. Add the butter and oil, followed by the chillies and garlic.
- Sauté together taking care not to burn the garlic.
- After a couple of minutes throw in the Thai asparagus and stir well to coat with the buttery chilli and garlic juices.
- Continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is ‘al dente’.
- Pile into a large serving dish and serve immediately.
If you’d like a guide for doing this great asparagus recipe, please visit weetons.com/recipes/
Delay in the 2010 Asparagus Season
This year saw a 2 week delay in the British Asparagus season due to the cold weather in early May. Our local supplier at George Morrell in Knaresborough was especially affected.
Asparagus needs warm weather to grow, so whenever you see things hotting up in May/June, get yourself online or pop into your local greengrocer for fresh British asparagus.
Asparagus makes a great starter, but is really versatile – toss into creamy risottos, pasta dishes, quiches and tarts, omelettes and tortillas. It is also great with chicken or salmon, and tastes delicious accompanied by a variety of sauces i.e. lemon, mustard or herb vinaigrettes or a tangy tarragon sauce.